Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a 4 year old healthy blue heeler. She was sleeping

Customer Question
in the bed with us...
My dog is a 4 year old healthy blue heeler. She was sleeping in the bed with us the evening and had a sudden attach that involved loss of bladder control followed by temporary partial paralysis of her back legs. We got her up and walked her around and see seems better, but we remain very concerned. do you have suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hi, Hunter. Thanks for your question. I'm sorry about the delay in receiving a reply. It sounds like you have likely witnessed a seizure. We can see the loss of bladder control and temporary paralysis (complete or partial) during and for a short while after a seizure occurs. It would be worthwhile to have some blood work and a physical exam performed to ensure that nothing underlying is causing the seizure activity. I would also recommend logging these for date, time, duration and occurrence so that if there are others your vet can look back through the log to see what you've been seeing. Most of the time until seizure activity is regular, vets won't use anti-convulsants. Sometimes, we see that dogs have a few seizures over time and never have them again. It's too soon to tell what the future holds but a workup to see if there are any underlying conditions at fault here and logging of the activity is a good place to start. More info on epilepsy and non-epileptic seizures in dogs: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/epilepsy.html Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in, Hunter. How is Pax doing?
Hi Hunter,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pax. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse