Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to have some sort of rash on her side. There

Customer Question
Hi. My dog seems...
Hi. My dog seems to have some sort of rash on her side. There are bumps kind of all over. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it's noticable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Darcy. She is a 2 year old pit/american bulldog mix.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darcy?
Customer: No - other than this condition, she is extremely healthy. On Friday, she had her annual bordatella booster, and had her anal sac relieved.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Are the bumps below or above the skin? 3- How much does she weigh?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doctor -It really just started - like within the past 30 minutes. The bumps appear to be under the skin, and are pushing her fur outward. She weighs 72 lb.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok - thanks.
Friend, given the quick onset of the lumps I believe you are seeing what is called "urticaria" commonly referred to as 'hives." This is seen in response to an an allergic reaction either to something she ate or came in contact. I would recommend you start her on Benadryl 25mg 3 tablets (75mg) every 8-12 hours for 5 days. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy like CVS. If you do not see a significant improvement by the morning I would have her checked by family veterinarian, she may need additional medications. If you notice changes in respiration or difficult breathing have her checked by nearest ER veterinarian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I appreciate your work on this. What's the best way to give her the Benadryl? Add it to food?
1- Open her mouth. 2- Then, place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed. 3- While holding the mouth closed direct her nose up and rub her throat to stimulate swallowing. You can also give it with a small piece of ham or cheese.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian