Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog has something lodged in throat. she is coughing

Customer Question
up phlem. this came on...
i think my dog has something lodged in throat. she is coughing up phlem. this came on suddenly and she has been like this for about 12 hours. it is sunday and I know of no place open to get her help, I am in the milwaukie wisconsin area and can find no emergency hospitals. what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i looked in her mouth and can see nothing lodged.
5/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sophie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If she is swallowing the bread, there is nothing stuck in her throat. When a dog has something stuck in the throat, they can't swallow, and the saliva produced in the mouth runs out of the mouth, and down the chest and they are very wet with saliva. If she is swallowing her saliva and the bread, she doesn't have a blockage in her throat. If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale? If they are pink, that is a good sign. She is able to breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide, and there is no blockage in her windpipe. If she is coughing up phlegm, she may have a respiratory infection. It is possible the cough is from a heart condition in a 10 year old dog, but that kind of cough does not come on suddenly. Kennel cough does come on suddenly, and makes a dog cough up phlegm. There are many emergency clinics in Milwaukee: http://erforanimals.com/ http://mahnorthave.com/mayfair.htmlhttp://www.lakeshorevetspecialists.com/ However, if she is eating and drinking, you may be able to wait for your regular veterinarian. You can try giving Robitussin DM and see if that helps. I would give 1/2 teaspoon up to 4 times a day. Only get the DM form of the Robitussin. Let me know what else I can help with or answer and how she is doing.
How is Sophie doing? Kindly consider rating my answer if this was helpful! Please let me know how she is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian