Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hey my dog just started freaking out and his whole body was

Customer Question

hey my dog just started freaking out and his whole body was shaking, like a seizure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: he started having a seizure than foamed at the mouth
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** about a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rico?
Customer: he's alert now about 10 mins later
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Rico. There are many causes for seizures and it is a good sign that he has recovered quickly. This could be caused by Epilepsy and Rico may never have another seizure. It is best to have your vet run blood work since this can happen due to liver disease or a brain defect. If all parameters are normal, it may be that Rico will never have another seizure. All you can do is watch him since this could reoccur and may require anti seizure medication since Rico could die during a seizure. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I was looking into canine epilepsy on YouTube last night. So what about the foaming at the mouth, is that normal
Yes, excessive salivation is normal with a seizure and will look like foam. Hopefully, Rico will not have another seizure but if he does, have your vet run the blood work.