Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is needing to go out frequently and has watery stools with mucous and blood. Roxy, 13 years, She has what I believe

Customer Question
She is needing to go...
She is needing to go out frequently and has watery stools with mucous and blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy
JA: How old is Roxy?
Customer: 13 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: She has what I believe is a lipoma in her groin area that has grown in size in the last 6 months
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs?How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, it has been going on for a week. No lip smacking or anything. About a teaspoon of blood that has mucous. She does get tense if you rub or touch her belly or backend. She has a lot of gas when she tries to have a bowl movement.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her demeanor is the same and still wants to eat
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that the blood has been scant, as that rules out more serious conditions like Pavro or haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. With those aside and based on your history, we do have a few concerns for what you are seeing. Specifically our main concerns would be whipworms, anal gland disease (less likely with her history), protozoal infections (ie coccidia, giardia, cryptosporidia), bacterial colitis, or inflammatory colitis. In this situation, I would advise starting her on a short term light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less loose stool to irritate her colon. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease this and plan to slowly wean her back to her normal diet once she is settled.Finally, since this is can be related to a disturbance in the GI microflora and suspect with her gas, you could also consider adding an OTC canine specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, etc). As well, since she is quite runny, you could also use a Kaolin/probiotic combo product like Protexin Prokolin, Fast Balance or Propectalin. These are OTC at most vets, pet stores, and even online (ie Amazon).Overall, these would be our concerns for the signs you are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to take the above steps to see if we can soothe her gut and stop these for her. If you do try these but she starts producing quite a bit of blood in her stools or doesn’t improve within in 12-24 hours (since she is so older), then we’d want to consider seeing her vet. In that case, you may want to bring a fresh fecal sample for your vet to send to the lab. This can be checked for common parasitic, protozoal, and bacterial causes of diarrhea. As well, the bacterial culture will be tested to determine which antibiotics they are sensitive to (since sometimes dogs do manage to pick up salmonella or campylobacter and need specific narrow spectrum treatment). And if this is a bacterial or parasitic complaint, that has picked now to manifest, knowing what the causative agent is will help you treat it effectively and clear this abnormal stool for Roxy. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian