Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month old Shepard just ate a rat that was poisoned by…

Customer Question
My 10 month old...

My 10 month old Shepard just ate a rat that was poisoned by the Green Block. Is a vet visit necessary right now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the rat ate?

Green block rat poison.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rat?

Such as?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
The green blocks contain either bromethalin or an anticoagulant rodenticide such as bromifacoum While little of either is necessary to kill a rat (who didn't have to ingest very much of those poisons), a considerable amount needs to be ingested by a 10 month old Shepherd for such a dog to become intoxicated. I don't see the need for a vet visit but I would like to see if you can get your dog to vomit up the rat by dosing your dog with 45 mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.See if you can find out which of the rodenticides was in that block, please.