Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shitzu is twitching when he lays down JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question
My shitzu is twitching when...
My shitzu is twitching when he lays down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snickers and he is 4
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snickers
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has a history of crystals in his urine. I did put the tick treatment on him and that evening is when the twitching started. I gave him a bath the same evening because I thought he had an allergic reaction but the twitching never went away.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Then what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. You did the right thing to wash Snickers right away when you saw the twitching. The flea treatment can cause an allergic reaction but this may be a coincidence that this could also be due to a neurologic issue such as an injury that you may not be aware of that is irritating the nerve supply causing this twitching. The first thing to do is to put Snickers on Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs and also give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If this is an allergic reaction or nerve irritation, this will resolve this within a short period of time. If this continues long after the medication has been given, have your vet examine Snickers to eb sure that we did not miss something. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I give snickers Chlorpheniramune instead of Bendryl?
Yes, this will work also and is dosed at 0.2 mg per pound every 8 hrs. I hope this helps Snickers past this...
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian