Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog and I went to the dog park today and she got trampled

Customer Question
by a few bigger dogs...
My dog and I went to the dog park today and she got trampled by a few bigger dogs. She is 3 and she is very playful too. She seemed fine after but when we came home I noticed she had a limp and she was licking her paws. I checked for cuts on her legs and didn't see anything. I just noticed that one paw pad has a cut. Another one has been partly torn off. It is not bleeding. But she did get sick three times and she does not want to walk. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. This is not too uncommon after dogs are playing hard. They can end up getting injuries to the paw pads where they are raw or even peeling back. Paw pads don't hold suture well, so we typically just let them heal on their own. You can use a topical antibiotic ointment on them- neosporin is fine. You can also soak the feet in a dilute hand soap/ water solution daily to help prevent infection. If you need to give something for pain, you can give Aspirin. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight (200 mg in your dog) every 12-24 hours as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian