angelica41372
angelica41372,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at William Carter
22495886

My other dog Moti just got back last night from a surgery.

Customer Question

.My other dog Moti just got back last night from a surgery. He had a wound on his snout/lip which turned into a growth. It was taken off, another mass was found on his cheekbone and that has been sent for biopsy. He stayed an extra day after surgery at the vets. Since last night, he roams around the house, curls up, at times moans, refuses to eat but does drink water.
I was supposed to start him on 1/2 of Clavamox 62.5 mg but i have not been able to do so as he is not eating anything and he is an aggressive dog so there is no way i can put a pill down his throat. Also, as his lip and jaw is all swollen up, touching that area would cause him pain.
Pls advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  angelica41372 replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening,This is Dr. Stevens, I would not give the Clavamox right now. I know antibiotics are important post surgery, but Clavamox can reduce appetite and even cause nausea. Your veterinarian maybe able to offer you a Convenia shot, which is a long acting 10-14 day antibiotic shot. Was Moti given pain meds? He sounds like he is uncomfortable. Try feeding some chicken noodle soup or chicken broth with fresh boiled chicken. Let me know if you have pain medication and the weight of your pet. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. He had a Fetanyl patch 50mcg placed on him on Thursday. I took it off on Sunday afternoon as he was refusing to eat food and walked like he was drunk. He weighs 43 lbs.
Did they give you any further follow up medications? Do you have any Tramadol at home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some Rimadyly. But as he refuses to eat I could not give it to him. He has the surgery Tuesday night. The patch was put on him Thursday morning. He has not eaten since then. I took the patch off three hours ago.
You can try anything soft to try to get him to eat. Dogs can go weeks without eating and it not be detrimental to their health. Consult your veterinarian in the morning about the convenia shot. Rimadyl is best with food in the stomach, so hold off. They maybe able to place another fetanyl patch but I would think the pain must be subsiding some what since the surgery was Tuesday. You can try soft baby food, like turkey, chicken or beef to see if he will lap it up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried most things. He would be interested, smell them and walk away. I took off the Fetanyl patch 4 hours ago and hope his appetite will return. I am not sure how long Fetanyl lasts in the system. I think the pain is manageable. My biggest concern was him not having his antibiotic after surgery as I was nervous about a secondary infection.
I understand, I think the convenia shot would be very helpful for him. Most surgeries are sterile and offer little potential for infection. The skin usually closes quickly within a couple days post surgery with sutures. Typically the patch only last 48 hours, so it should be mostly worn off by now. Check about the shot in the morning. Hope all turns out well.
Hi Saeed,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Moti. How is everything going?

angelica41372