Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

About 2 days ago, she started vomiting the yellow bile with

Customer Question
kind of pebble type pieces...
About 2 days ago, she started vomiting the yellow bile with kind of pebble type pieces in it. She is older. She is drinking plenty of water, but she won't eat. She is really weak and lethargic. She ate grass at the park the day before yesterday and it came up this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She did eat a rib bone before all of this happened, but my other dogs didn't have a problem with them. That's what I assumed was the pebble chunks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is she? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How many hours since the last time she vomited?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shes about 9 yrs old. A yellow lab. She's probadly about 80lbs. She has no pre-existing medical issues. She's been healthy (but overweight at one point) up until now. I went down this morning at 5 am and she puked up grass that she ate yesterday. There was no yellow bile in this vomit, just clear with grass. She's never eaten grass before. She ate a few pieces of deli ham yesterday. I made her rice, but she won't eat it. She's panting heavily now, but she made it half way up the stairs to lay down, she hasn't been to the middle stair in 2 days. That's her favorite spot to lay down.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, it is common when dogs are having gastrointestinal issues to eat grass.Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that she ate a rib bone 2 days ago I would really want to rule out the bone being obstructed. For this reason I would strongly recommend having her checked today by a veterinarian for xrays. You see, if this is related to the bone and it perforates the intestinal tract, the outcome is likely fatal. For this reason it is best to not wait. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as soon as you can. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. She passed away 15 min ago while I was getting ready to take her to the vet. This was helpful, I would have never thought this would be the outcome.
Oh my, I am so sorry to learn she passed away. Sorry for your loss. You're welcome.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian