Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took him to a groomer first time, he is acting very

Customer Question
I took him to a...
I took him to a groomer for the first time, he is acting very strange. He hides under the covers, scoots his bum on the floor, feels hot to the touch, and wants held constantly. Jersey or twitches but seems like he hurts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is about 14 months old, mix between a Shitzu and Maltese weighing about 12 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on his signs and recent groomer visit, this does raise a few concerns. We can see this in dogs that have been shaved a bit to close to the skin causing peri-rectal skin irritation and razor burn. As well, if the groomer expressed his anal glands as some do, we can see dogs be irritated after that. And while a bit less likely, we can on occasions see irritation to the products they use on the skin. In this case, if you think Winston is very sore, it would be ideal to have him checked by his vet at this stage. They can check the glands to make sure they aren't inflamed +/- dispense dog safe pain relief to settle this for him. Otherwise, if you check under his tail and see any skin redness or irritation, you can gently take a few topical care steps. Specifically, we can gently salt water bathe(1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) the area, gently pat it dry and then apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray to the skin. This can be done 2-3 times daily to reduce any skin irritation/inflammation. Furthermore, to just protect the skin from his scooting, we can use a pair of small shorts (or even boxers tuned backwards so there is a hole for his tail) to cover the area and protect it from further self trauma. Finally, if you think his skin is irritated in general from something they used, you can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first Overall, Winston's signs are not uncommon after a visit to the groomer. The above would be our main concerns and we can use the above to try to soothe them for him. Of course, if he is very sore or you do think it is his anal glands that are causing bother, we'd want to follow up with his vet to have them checked and have treatment dispensed to get him settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live 120 miles away from a Veterinarian, is there any way you can call me something in at our local pharmacy?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a cream called Triamcinolone Acetone Cream USP 0.1%
Hi again,I am afraid that it illegal for prescriptions to be dispensed for animals that we do not examined in person. Still, hydrocortisone is over the counter and Triamcinolone is fine to use as well. So, either could be used here.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian