Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old rescue Lhasa has had very infrequent vomiting

Customer Question
in the past (usually she's...
My 3 year old rescue Lhasa has had very infrequent vomiting in the past (usually she's picked up and eaten something from the grass). But today she woke up at 3 AM and began vomiting, yellow foam or liquid (odorless) then vomited her breakfast (she can't eat meat, feed her Swai fish, no-salt green beans, sliced carrots and chicken broth (because she gobbles food and needs a liquid to get it down). She vomited six times today. It is now 4:15 PM here and she is not vomiting but refuses food; she has drunk water normally all day (and did not vomit it). She is cool on her head, ears, feet, stomach is no longer swollen (it was when vomiting began), but she is refusing all food because she appears nauseous. Too late to go to Vet today, can I wait till tomorrow and see how she does overnight?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that Lily is not feeling well. I can give you concerning signs that indicate she should be seen tonight versus waiting until morning: - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally 103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distressAs for tonight: 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode2- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with water (crushed if needed)3-If no vomiting, offer small amount of oatmeal. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. If no interest please do not push as this can result in further vomiting even if she is no longer showing any other symptoms of nausea4- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Lily comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I hope she is feeling better soon If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 10 minutes tonight to assist you If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian