Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 15 and has cancer in the shoulder bone ,it has

Customer Question

my
dog is 15 and has cancer in the shoulder bone ,it has been 2 and a half months that vet said it would brake she cant get around to good and i just noticed her foot is swelling up pretty good if her shoulder broke would that make her foot up to her wrist swell ,she dosent cry out at all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Belle. The swelling is likely to represent lymphedema which would result from metastases of cancer cells from her shoulder which are now blocking the return of lymph from her paw back into her body. Alternatively, the cancer is now present in the paw bone(s) itself. If her shoulder had fractured you would see profound swelling at the fracture site and a very painful three-legged Belle.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.