Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog was just bitten by a centipede. I'm worried BC she has CHF and is on several medications for it. I have her benadryl

Customer Question
She was just bitten by...
She was just bitten by a centipede. I'm worried BC she has CHF and is on several medications for it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: I have her benadryl 25mg PO just now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at all. Just very uncomfortable, getting her paw raised, panting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: *gave
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. Centipede bites don't typically cause systemic issues, but we can have pretty severe local reactions to them. We usually see a red raised area and then some redness and bruising around the bite. I would continue to give Benadryl every 6-8 hours for a good 24-48 hours to help keep this local reaction under control. The dose of benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. I would also ice the area 2-3 times daily to help with the swelling. If you notice any worsening in respiratory signs, then I would go to a vet. I think she has a good chance of recovering fully with just Benadryl at home. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian