Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog threw up clear liquid, gums are bright red, his upper

Customer Question
lips seem a little swollen...
My dog threw up clear liquid, gums are bright red, his upper lips seem a little swollen and when he breathes he sounds a little like he's snoring. It has now been 3 hours with no vomiting he hops off couch to follow me and has an appetite for skinless chicken breast. Should I go to emergency vet now (at 7:00 pm) or wait until first thing tomorrow morning?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that Charlie is not feeling wellThe key reasons I recommend a veterinary er include: - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress- Swelling of the lips increases or effects his ability to breathFrom what I understand the only thing on this list that he is currently showing are the brick red gums but if that changes then please do consider the er tonight. As for the vomiting and swelling 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning (remove for now)3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Charlie comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.6- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound beginning 6-8 hours after the last vomiting episode, crushed in water if necessary Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I hope Charlie is feeling better soonIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Charlie doing? I would love an update when you are able Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian