Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He got into a bottle of Benzonatate 200MG, I don't know how

Customer Question

He got into a bottle of Benzonatate 200MG, I don't know how many he ate, if any.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is a puppy about 9 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cozbi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cobia?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Benzonatate is potentially very dangerous when overdosed. In mild cases, we see vomiting and lethargy. In more severe cases, we see arrhythmias, hypotension, seizures and death. Given the high mg tabs, it wouldn't take much to get into a dangerous level. As few as 2 capsules can be quite dangerous. If the potential ingestion was within the last 2 hours, I would induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide. If you let me know what he weighs, I can give you a dose. Otherwise, I would either take him to a vet for activated charcoal and monitoring or just watch him closely for 6-12 hours. If he shows any abnormal signs, then get to a vet at that point for treatment. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs about 10 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
To induce vomiting, you would give 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
In that size though, I would have him watched very closely at a vet through the day if you're at all concerned of an ingestion. One tablet/ capsule could be potentially fatal here.