Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog got into a bottle of Benzonatate 200MG, I don't know how many he ate, if any. he is a puppy about 9 months old,

Customer Question
He got into a bottle...
He got into a bottle of Benzonatate 200MG, I don't know how many he ate, if any.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is a puppy about 9 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cozbi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cobia?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. Benzonatate is potentially very dangerous when overdosed. In mild cases, we see vomiting and lethargy. In more severe cases, we see arrhythmias, hypotension, seizures and death. Given the high mg tabs, it wouldn't take much to get into a dangerous level. As few as 2 capsules can be quite dangerous. If the potential ingestion was within the last 2 hours, I would induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide. If you let me know what he weighs, I can give you a dose. Otherwise, I would either take him to a vet for activated charcoal and monitoring or just watch him closely for 6-12 hours. If he shows any abnormal signs, then get to a vet at that point for treatment. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He weighs about 10 lbs.
To induce vomiting, you would give 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.
In that size though, I would have him watched very closely at a vet through the day if you're at all concerned of an ingestion. One tablet/ capsule could be potentially fatal here.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian