Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is a maltese and scratching underneath herself and its very red and starting to bleed in spots, Tia and she is 12,

Customer Question
she is a maltese and...
she is a maltese and scratching underneath herself and its very red and starting to bleed in spots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tia and she is 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tia?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she licking the area? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has been scratching on and off for a little while but has got worse since Sunday. She is licking and biting at herself. No pre existing conditions
Please give a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, what you are describing could be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Infections (fungal or bacterial), allergies, mites, etc. to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations below, if within 2-3 days you don't see significant improvement I would follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination. This is what you can try: 1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian