Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We took our 10 year old Maltese to our Vet of 9 years

Customer Question
for an examination. All was...
We took our 10 year old Maltese to our Vet of 9 years for an examination. All was well. We wanted to schedule a cleaning but found the price had quadrupled since her last cleaning. Our dog goes to the Vet whenever the Vet says so. With this disappointing news of the fee
we called another Vet to check the cleaning fees. It was the same as before about $200. We scheduled the cleaning with the new Vet. After we drop the dog off we get a call from the Vet immediately just about. Our Maltese has a Grade 3 heart murmur and cannot have its teeth cleaned. She also has and enlarged heart, enlarged pulmonary vein, enlarged liver, congestive heart failure and weak femoral pulse. This is within one week of her exam at Vet #1. How long does it take a grade 3 murmur to develop without any symptoms to develop?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry you are having concerns about Bianca and her heart. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. There are many reasons for a heart murmur. Sometimes a dog has one from birth and it never gets louder and never causes problems. Sometimes a middle aged dog will develop a leaky valve and have a grade one murmur that gradually (over weeks, months, even years) gets louder and louder. Sometime they happen suddenly, like if a structure inside the heart (valve, supportive cords) weakens and tears. Has she had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of her heart) to tell what exactly is making the murmur, such as a leaky valve? If it is a leaky valve it may have just developed in a week, but usually it is there for awhile, getting gradually louder. If the vet who diagnosed the murmur thinks it has been there awhile, then he or she is probably right. Let me know what else I can answer, and if you have any test results you can share with me.
Hi James,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bianca. How is everything going?
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
How is Bianca doing?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian