Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just took my dog to get a rabies shot this morning and she

Customer Question
is acting weird JA: I'll do...
I just took my dog to get a rabies shot this morning and she is acting weird
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: she's acting hurt and rolling around a lot and looks like she is trying to get something off her neck and the top of her head I looked nothing is there and she never acts like this
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: betsy and 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Betsy?
Customer: no i've never had any problems with her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Betsy is acting like thisFirst, please make sure her gums are nice and pink. It sounds like she is not developing bumps over her body which can be a sign of a vaccine reaction but I would err on the side of caution and give benadryl 1 mg per pound to see if this behavior subsides. It may cause mild sedation but should help with her odd behavior if it is a vaccine reactionI would also let your vet know she had this odd behavior to pretreat with benadryl for rabies in the futureRepeat the benadryl every 6-8 hours for 24 hours then taper frequency for a few daysIf the behavior is not subsiding or progressing with bumps, vomiting/ diarrhea then please return to your veterinary clinic for further treatmentPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Betsy doing since you asked your question? Did the benadryl help? I would love an update when you are able... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian