Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My shihtzu bichons is allergic to flea & tick meds. I understand

Customer Question

My shihtzu bichons is allergic to flea & tick meds. I understand there are products that repel mosquitoes also. I live in MS where bugs are rampant. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's allergies. Have you tried Nexgard for the fleas and ticks? It is an ingestible chew rather than a spot-on. A few things you can try for mosquitos are lemon juice. Place in a spray bottle and spritz your dog's hair, avoiding the face and eyes. You can apply to the face by spraying a cloth and wiping the lemon on his face. Also, if you have access to Avon, the product Skin-so-soft works well at repelling mosquitos. Another product is Pooch Protect Bug Repellent Spray that is supposed to work for for all kinds of bugs. It is available at: http://www.petwellbeing.com.All of these products would have to be applied at least everyday and maybe more if he is outside a lot. They are more natural products than most flea and tick treatments so they may be a little easier to tolerate.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!