Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has really smelly/mucasy soft/diarreah sometimes

Customer Question
Hi! My dog has really...
Hi! My dog has really smelly/mucasy soft/diarreah sometimes with blood in it ,rancid breath when sick/throwing up sometimes jelly-like substance,very lethargic / just lying around , stomach looks swollen, not much appetite, no energy, anus so sore with diarrhea that it bled, for 3 weeks now! What could this be? It started with jelly like diarreah and throwing up jelly stuff,then it went to diarreah like gravy,then a lot of red blood mixed with it(mostly blood and slime and mucas,the poop was just running out of her and she was too sick to use on her pad,it was just running out of her and we had to catch it,we sat her in a bucket of water to sooth her anus(it was bleeding and raw sore),now her poop is like soft half runny and she is very lethargic and isn't moving very much, her bum is constantly leeking poop and we have to wipe it off, she has no energy! Our vet doesn't know what's wrong and I'm going out of my mind,wondering what's wrong! Please help! What could this be? I have pictures of her bloody poop...how can I send them to u?she is scooting her bum on the carpet and going in circles on her bum on the carpet it looks like she is uncomfortable and itchy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I think the next step is to get intestinal biopsies. This can be done surgically or via endoscopy. My main differentials would be IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or Lymphangiectasia. These are called PLEs (protein losing enteropathies). They're common intestinal diseases in small breed dogs. The treatment is often with a combination of steroids (Prednisone), diet manipulation and sometimes other immuno-suppressant meds to get the signs under control. Here is a nice link on the conditions:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1381 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We already tested for the PLEs... What else could this possibly be?
Did you have biopsies taken of the intestines? If not, then we can't rule them out. I didn't see anywhere that he had surgical biopsies taken. That's really what is needed. It could also be a tumor in the small intestine or colon. Lymphoma can do this. That diagnosis is also usually made at surgery or with a CT if that is an option.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, we never had biopsys done yet... Are these the only two things that it could be? IBS, or lymphoma ? Can it possibly be anything else?
It could be other things- infection, virus, bacteria, fungal. It could be food allergies. It could be a liver shunt. I think the next step, given the 3 week history, is to get biopsies and get an answer. It may be worth seeing a veterinary internal medicine specialist to consult with. 3 weeks without an answer or improvement suggests going for a second opinion.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian