Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I haven't been giving my dog rimadyl and it has stopped her

Customer Question
up I gave her a...
I haven't been giving my dog rimadyl and it has stopped her up I gave her a laxative and she it was Ronnie this morning morning she will not eat what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Rimbaud?
Customer: The expression expiration date is the 11th month of 2016
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rimbaud?
Customer: No not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean I have been giving her rimadyl
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. What type of laxative did you give and how long ago? How long has your dog been on Rimadyl?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The laxative is called Mira laxatives original and last night she started both medicenes
And what is the Rimadyl for? Is she eating today? Any vomiting? How long since she had a bowel movement?Rimadyl doesn't normally cause constipation, but it can cause GI upset leading to inappetance. Was she not eating BEFORE starting the Rimadyl?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The rimadyl is for her paw she sprained it yes she has ate today her last bowel was this morning and it was yellow Diarra and no she has always ate
Ok. So she did have a bowel movement after the miralax then? I am glad she is eating today as well then. The diarrhea is likely the result of the miralax if it was after she took the miralax.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you. Sometimes she goes to poop and is trying but nothing comes out why is that?
Has she been having diarrhea? Sometimes dogs who have had some diarrhea will have some straining and appear constipated but it is actually them feeling like they need to go due to the inflammation/irritation in the gi tract from the diarrhea making them feel they need to go, when really there isn't any feces left to poop out!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes she has had very bad Diareah 2 tones in the last 2 days and that's her only bowel movements she has was diarrhea
Ok. Then the straining was likely due to that, not constipation. I would definitely not give any more miralax, because it will get worse, not better!!! If you call your vet, they may be able to prescribe some antidiarrheal medication for him. Was the diarrhea BEFORE the Rimadyl? If it started after the rimadyl, you should also let your vet know, as they may decide to switch to a different medication.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you, ***** ***** know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No before the rimadyl she wasn't pooping at all just straining so that's why I gave her miralax. She is scooting her butt in the grass now why is that?
Probably it feels irritated. We can also see scooting if anal glands are full and need to be expressed. This can be another reason dogs may strain or be uncomfortable having a bowel movement, so it may be a good idea to have your vet check the anal glands to see if they are full and need to be expressed. This requires a rectal exam using the fingers (not something you can really do at home unless you have been taught how before!).
Checking to see how your dog is doing and if you have any other questions!?
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian