Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog doesnt want to eat drinks a little bit but just lays there- normally healthy happy, she is 3 years old. nothing new

Customer Question
she doesnt want to eat...
she doesnt want to eat drinks a little bit but just lays there- normally healthy happy, she is 3 years old. nothing new in her diet or in the home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Acts really weak too
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Acts?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She doesn't seem to have a fever- but her nose isn't cold and wet feeling
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a cat that has an ear infection right now- is that contagious?
5/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling herself for the past few days, with a loss of appetite and lethargy.If she isn't eating it makes sense that she is weak and lethargic.Possible causes of a lack of an appetite include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisim), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, a systemic infection, or even infiltrative cancers are other possible causes. Ideally because this has persisted for a few days and long enough to make her weak I would recommend an examination and checking basic blood tests on her including a complete blood count, biochemistry panel and a blood test for pancreatitis called can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase) which is highly specific for pancreatitis. If her electrolyte levels seem unbalanced (high potassium and low sodium) then testing for Addison's disease with a test called an ACTH response test should be done. If those things are normal then the next step diagnostically would be an abdominal ultrasound and endoscopy to collect intestinal biopsies. To help at home now with gastrointestinal upset and reflux you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel more comfortable. They are quite safe and can be used for a few days if needed. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give her water or low salt clear broths like low salt beef or chicken broth to drink but make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to nausea and vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If she seems to feel better later today offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she absolutely needs to be examined. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add those to the bland diet mix.But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet. If she continues to refuse to eat, begins to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly then she is not a candidate for home therapy and must see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care. Ear infections aren't contagious, and unless they are in the inner ear and cause a high fever should not really interfere with her appetite this much.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian