Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 year old male Pug, who is not eating. He had a stroke 5 weeks ago and was eati

Customer Question
ng, drinking and defecating and...
I have a 16 year old male Pug, who is not eating. He had a stroke 5 weeks ago and was eati ng, drinking and defecating and urinating well. Saturday night when I got home I noticed a sharp decline in him and now he won't eat. Only drinks water and will urinate but won't defecate. Turns his head away from food. He seems alert, isn't in pain or laboring to breathe. I'm not sure what my next course of action should be. My local vet just says to keep trying to get him to eat anything I can. I don't want to force feed him though. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr H, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, I'm Dr. H, a companion animal veterinarian happy to help you today.I'm sorry to hear your pet isn't doing well. I'm very concerned that he's continuing to decline over several days. I would advise that you take Bubba to see his veterinarian within the next 24 hrs. In the meantime, there is some supportive care that you can do at home. The Baytril may be causing some stomach upset, so for now, I would discontinue this and talk with your veterinarian about doing so. The Temeril P isn't vital to his health at this point - you can discontinue this medication just to avoid forcing more into his mouth. Generally speaking, pets stop eating for a number of reasons, but overall, it is a sign of illness and this is why your veterinarian needs to be doing more for Bubba. Sometimes injectable medications to help him feel better and blood work and/or xrays to assess for problems is needed. To start, you can consider treating with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if he has any known health issues or is on any other medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find any nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need injectable anti-vomiting medication.Once that has had time to absorb, we'd want to tempt him to eat. Favorites can be tried or consider starting on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As the stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the GI system.Please keep me updated on Bubba! If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?

Dr H
Dr H
Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian