Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My senior male chihuahua has a perianal tumor on the very side

Customer Question
of his butt. I don't...
My senior male chihuahua has a perianal tumor on the very side of his butt. I don't want to spend 1,900.00 on a removal surgery or castration. . So is there anything I can do to reduce the testosterone in my unfixed male or reduce his blood calcium, so that I do not have to pay for this expensive surgery. ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What confuses you?
Customer: Is it neccessary to have the surgery If it is not affecting his anal glands or ability to poop. . ?
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What confuses you?
Customer: Is there any options to reduce his testosterone levels or blood calcium "naturally?"
JA: What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Mr. Wiggles. He is about 25 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr. Wiggles?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, there are option to discuss with Mr. Wiggles's vet. Testosterone levels can be reduced with oral contraceptives (birth control pills) containing eithinylestrodiol and an antiandrogenic progesterone, the diuretic spiranolactone, the glucocorticosteroid prednisone, and 5-alpha redctase inhibitors such as zinc and finasteride. Serum calcium levels can be reduced with the diuretic furosemide and the glucocorticosteroid prednisone. It's not clear to be what "naturally" implies. Please clarify.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian