Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our 2 dogs got in a fight over food. can i give them ibuprofen

Customer Question

our 2 dogs got in a fight over food. can i give them ibuprofen for their pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.In general, dogs can take non steroidal anti inflammatories, like aspirin or ibuprofen, but it causes much more stomach upset and has a much narrower margin of safety than it does in humans. For ibuprofen I don't usually feel like the risk of stomach ulcer or kidney damage is worth the pain relief it provides. Occasionally I will give them dose of aspirin as long as you understand that there is the risk of stomach upset including stomach ulceration. A large dog (50 pounds) with no other health problems can have a whole adult aspirin, preferably with food. But you should monitor for signs of stomach upset and don't give multiple doses.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kasha And Ivy. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy