Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

9 year olf neutered German Shepherd has trouble defecating JA:

Customer Question
9 year olf neutered German...
9 year olf neutered German Shepherd has trouble defecating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear Penny is having difficulties with constipation. I can give you some basic guidelines but if he continues to strain without production then please consider a veterinary exam. 1.) Small more frequent meals today, perhaps four times daily with white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken.2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. 4.) Supplements as you have already begun, 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner5.) A more longterm solution include a high fiber diet which often entails a transition to a light formula, even if Penny is a lean dogIf this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian