Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He just started dripping blood from his penis. JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question
He just started dripping blood...
He just started dripping blood from his penis.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Murphy. He is a little over 1.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.So there are a few possibilities.If he is urinating more frequently then he could have a urinary tract infection. The inflammation in the lining of the urinary tract can cause bleeding.He could have also scratched the penis and now it is bleeding and the blood is dripping out the sheath. Or, if he scratched the tip then the tip could be bleeding.If he will let you push the sheath back and examine the penis for injury. You can clean any wounds with a little 3% hydrogen peroxide and apply a little Neosporin antibiotic cream.If it does not stop bleeding in an hour then he should see the ER vet.If you notice he is urinating more frequently then he probably has a urinary tract infection. In that case a vet will need to check his urine and prescribe antibiotics.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian