Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has red eyes w/discharge, dry hot nose, and not too

Customer Question
interested in drinking. Did eat...
My dog has red eyes w/discharge, dry hot nose, and not too interested in drinking. Did eat with limited mouth movement. Gave lubricating eye drops and coconut oil to like and put on nose, did eat. Seemed to have fever, went down, but eyes still red.
Problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Lynn, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Her symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Red eyes with discharge can arise from allergic, infectious, or traumatic disorders involving most any part of the eyes or anatomical changes in the eye such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma.A dry hot nose might indicate dehydration or fever but, in general, nose changes aren't helpful to us.Her continuing to eat is a positive prognostic sign.Can you check a few things for me, please?1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).2) Check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find.
Hi Lynn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian