Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs urine has been a dark color a week now and

Customer Question
My dogs urine has been...
My dogs urine has been a dark color for about a week now and It has a strong smell. Now she will urinate randomly and nothing will come out. I can tell she feels the urge to.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Urine?
Customer: Immediately when she intimates its a strong smell. Then a little while after she will try to urinate again and nothing will come out
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Urine?
Customer: Urinates *
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
It sounds as if your dog is stranguric - frequent attempts at urinating little or no urine - which is usually due to a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). The bacteria are likely to be urea-splitters which is causing that strong smell. Urea is split into two molecules of ammonia. Her vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of your dog's bladder through the abdominal wall) - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine. A UTI is confirmed by finding bacteria in the urine and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. Treatment usually involves a broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is done to make sure that the urinary tract has been sterilized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would I be able to bring in a urine sample? I'm out of town, so how soon should I seek treatment for my dog? Would it be okay to take her to the vet on Monday?
It's best that you don't bring a "clean catch" in to the vet. Even taking precautions, the urine will be contaminated and the finding of bacteria difficult to evaluate. If you're asking if you can just bring in urine and not your dog, no, vets won't allow that. It's best that she be attended to at your earliest convenience if only because she's so uncomfortable but this isn't an emergency. Monday is good. You can administer either aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food twice daily or acetaminophen at 7 mg/lb thrice daily - either of which should provide her with some comfort.;Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you so much for your help! Have a great day!
You're quite welcome! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian