Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pom she will be 12 years old may 28. when she going

Customer Question
to poop she is straning,and...
I have a pom she will be 12 years old may 28. when she going to poop she is straning,and very little come out. I have to wipe it off. Can I give she something to help her poop. She weight about 5 lbs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.Usually if they are straining and not producing much stool they are either constipated or have inflammation in their colon (colitis). Often we need a good exam and sometimes X-rays to tell the difference, but colitis is more common. Dogs with colitis usually have fairly soft stool or diarrhea. They strain because they feel like they have to go, but there is no stool in their colon... it just feels like that because it is inflamed. If this is colitis a bland diet and some probiotics can help. Make some white rice and low fat cottage cheese or chicken breast. It can also help to add fiber... usually I recommend a tablespoon of canned pumpkin. Feed this in 3 meals a day. Also, add in some probiotic. I like Purina's fortiflora, but there are several good probiotics that you can get at any pet store.Do this until you see her having normal bowel movements and then slowly change back to her regular diet.However, if this doesn't work then have her checked out by a veterinarian. The fiber in the bland diet can help with constipation too, but sometimes they need more aggressive treatment than that.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, just ask. Once your questions have all been answered, don't forget to rate my answer.
Hi Reuben,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jassie. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian