Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 lb year old dog just ate a 75 mg Effexor Xr pill what

Customer Question
should I do JA: I'm sorry...
My 12 lb year old dog just ate a 75 mg Effexor Xr pill what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chico 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?
Customer: No he is fine so far
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.Effexor symptoms or toxicity symptoms would be based on dose ingested. At doses of 2-3 mg/kg we begin to see agitation, higher doses can cause severe neurological symptoms like ataxia, tremors, seizures, heart involvement, and even death. Your dog based on weight (12 pounds, 5.5 kg) took a dose of 13.6 mg/kg which is significant and a concern. Symptoms typically begin after 6-8 hours of ingestion so since we are still in the window to induce vomiting please do so and if no vomiting please consider a veterinary er so that stronger medications can be given along with medications to block absorption as well.I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your senior friend to see if there were any issues with the medication ingested? I would love an update when you are able... If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian