Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a one year old Austrailian healer, who has a limp and

Customer Question
appears to become stiff legged...
We have a one year old Austrailian healer, who has a limp and appears to become stiff legged after playing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: We have taken her twice and no wounds were found. After resting or in the morning does not want to move or get up.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Melo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Melo?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Melo has been limping and seeming unwilling to get up. I will do my best to help. Is it the same leg that Melo has been limping on over and over again or does the limping move from leg to leg? If the limp is consistently the same leg, then I usually move on to X-rays if the pet hasn't improved at all with rest and pain medications in a week or two. Depending on where you live, tick borne diseases like lyme disease can cause limping and all-over soreness. These are fairly easy to screen for with a quick blood test and are usually quite treatable. If she hasn't improved at all with time and pain medications, then X-rays are your next step to determine if there's a bone abnormality. Sometimes I'll also sedate a pet for a full orthopedic exam - certain manipulations of the joints are difficult to perform and interpret in an awake animal - the sedation allows us to fully assess the joints for injuries like a torn cruciate ligament (the ACL in people), luxating patellas, or laxity from hip dysplasia. Another thing that could potentially be recommended to be done under sedation would be joint taps. For some pets, "all over" soreness can be caused by an immune-mediated joint issue - kind of like RA in people. In that case, joint taps would be needed to diagnose and assess the type of inflammation in those joints. Immune mediated arthritis is typically treated by suppressing the immune system with medications like prednisone, so diagnosing it appropriately is important in such a young animal. We wouldn't want to pursue a treatment like that unless we were sure that it was necessary.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian