Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow is still feeling poorly after vomiting up a sock. Most of the time once they rid themselves of the foreign material they seem to feel much better. I am not so concerned he isn't passing stools because if there isn't anything going in (he's not eating
and he vomited) then there isn't anything to make stools. My real concerns are his continued gagging/hacking, refusal to eat and drink, and lethargy.Did they give him any fluids today? That would be helpful to rehydrate him, and rebalance electrolytes, both important in making him feel better. Radiographs are great for seeing metallic or mineral density objects. They are not great at picking up cloth or other "soft" foreign bodies because those are the same density as the soft tissues that make up his body. He may have more foreign material that they just couldn't see radiographically. Sometimes it helps to perform a barium dye contrast study, which can outline foreign material or show an obstruction or perform an ultrasound. Either one is much more sensitive at picking up "soft" foreign material (like another sock). One if those tests will be needed if he isn't coming along.His runny nose is likely related to acid refluxing up from the stomach when he vomited up the sock. Or he may still be refluxing acid from his stomach to his nose given that he is still gagging and hacking. Stomach acid is horribly irritating to the nasal mucosa and would create a runny nose. It might help to give him an acid reducer to decrease the burning sensation in his nose and nausea.You can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine
) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from acid reflux after eating and vomiting the sock. It will also decrease the burning of his nasal tissue even with continued reflux. These medications are quite safe and can be given for several days if need be.If his hacking and decreased appetite are just from residual irritation either one should be very helpful. I would not worry too much about him not eating for tonight, but push fluids.Offer water, ice cubes and low salt, clear broth. In the morning if he is feeling better offer him a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken
), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. If all goes well feed his this for a few days, then slowly transition him back to his regular diet. If he has a tense, painful abdomen, continues to gag or vomit with no improvement after being on the acid reducer overnight, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis as soon as possible. Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.