Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 92 pound greyhound has dropped from 92 pounds to 76 pounds

Customer Question
since December. JA: I'll do all...
Our 92 pound greyhound has dropped from 92 pounds to 76 pounds since December.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: We took him to VA Tech Vet School the first of March where an ultra sound was done. They did an endoscopy and colonoscopy and took may samples to be biopsied. The result was no cancer but ulcers all the way from stomach to the intestines and heliocopter pyloris. The new treatment for the latter was deemed to be too risky as the treatment would make him sick and less likely to eat. So we proceeded with Prilosec and prednisone.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Murphy who is supposed to celebrate his 11th birthday on May 13th.
JA: How old is Murphy?
Customer: He is 10. We are currently weaning him off the prednisone at the rate of 25mg every other day. Last week he was put on cerenia(sp?) for 8 days. He has received iv fluids twice in the past week because he is not drinking either. He had fluids last night and famotidine injective this am. He was also given an appetite stimulant. I bought 2 plain hamburgers at Wendys and he won't touch them. I have cooked everything from rice pastas, potatoes to hamburgers and satin balls. I have tried about 20 different cans of canned food along with several brands of dry food. We have tried Vienna sausages, potted meat and Italian wedding soup. He actually liked the broth in that soup. I have tried canned cat food, scrambled eggs, cream cheese, cheese and deli turkey.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?
Customer: He is up to date on all his shots. He hasn't had any problems with eating before January and it has gotten progressively worse. Murphy usually came to me to tell me that it was time to eat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear of this with Murphy. Were you given differential diagnoses for that extensive ulceration? Considering his decline I would consider treating his Helicobacter at this point. There are a number of "triple therapies" consisting of an antacid and two antibiotics dosed for 10-14 days. You're running out of treatment options and the prednisone is likely to have caused an overgrowth of the Helicobacter which can also induce neoplasia (cancer) in his GI tract if that hasn't already occurred.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I forgot to mention that about 3 weeks ago our vet on consultation with a vet at Virginia Tech did start him on an antibiotic. I think that it was amoxicillan.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.
Good! Amoxicillin + omeprazole + clarithromycin for 10-14 days is one of the standard "triple therapies". Was there a positive change following this therapy?I have to leave my computer for 1.5 hours but I promise to reply as soon as I return.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian