Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Drinking excessively..then throwing it up JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question
drinking excessively..then throwing it up JA...
drinking excessively..then throwing it up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: mini schnauzer
JA: OK. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: opie and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Opie?
Customer: he does seem depressed...lethargic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Did he get into anything? 4- Is he on any medications?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
couple weeks now..no preexisting conditions..no meds..no poisons in my house..only naturalstuff
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem as you already know. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. In order to pinpoint the exact underlying cause Opie will need to have blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. So for example, if he is a diabetic he will need insulin; if he has an infection he will be treated with antibiotics, etc. So, the first place to start to determine the exact underlying cause besides a hands on examination is some testing as described above. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
kind of told me what i already know. was just trying to avoid a trip in to vet. opie is not car friendly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any natural items i can give to aleve problem?
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. As described above, in order to establish a treatment plan for Opie first you need to know what is the cause. No, there are no natural treatment that would correct the problem.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian