Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog is licking his mouth in bouts, restless at times and

Customer Question

Our dog is licking his mouth in bouts, restless at times and his tummy looks a little distended.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sampson 8 golden retriever
JA: How old is Sampson?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sampson?
Customer: No otherwise healthy he does pant when he's moving around but he is able to get comfortable for an hour or so at a time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How is Sampson doing since posting the question? 2- How long has he had the abdominal distention? 3- How long has this been going on? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Did he get into anything? 6- Any other symptoms?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. He's seemed to settle some and finally rested. He has bad gas this morning.
I just noticed the belly last night.
A day or so. I think it maybe his food. He is currently on Tast me of the a wild.
He weighs 80 lbs and is slim for his frame.
We don't think he ate anything strange, but does get a daily walk so maybe on the walk.
No other symptoms. He woke up at his normal time spunky.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is he back to normal now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty much except the gas.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, excessive gas in the stomach can be caused by dietary indiscretion, imbalance of friendly vs unfriendly bacteria in the intestinal tract, etc. I would recommend the following: 1- Gas X (simethicone) 100mg every 6-8 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Gas X over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- Supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora, these are friendly bacteria that help with excess gas production in the intestinal tract. 3- If at any point he becomes restless, vomiting, lethargic, abdominal distention, etc. have him checked immediately by a veterinarian; these are all symptoms of a bloat. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.