Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

13 in June Male Mixed larger than standard lab. Had @ our vet

Customer Question
(25 miles away) on 4/call/16...
13 in June Male Mixed larger than standard lab. Had @ our vet (25 miles away) on 4/call/16 for licking his hips causing open sore. History June 2015 at Vet for weight loss. Changed to dry with wet food & gained his weight back. Downside is weight back and now hip issues. So Vet put on 3.75 mg of Meloxicam every other day for joints. She said although weight good he's gone down hill in 10 months. Believes licking is possibly due to hip pain. He's had a mild cough off/on for a year but no obstruction was found. Today, he was fed @ 7am upon getting home he got 3small peaches of his dry Pedigree dry dog food and on small 5 calorie crispy cheese style treat. Normal treats. within 30 minutes I heard him gag. A saw a lg spoonful mucus. Looking beyond I saw a large pile of very heavy whitish mucus! So thick I got a lg solid spatula and slid under similar scooping is as if you were turning an egg! It filled an 8 inch paper plate and piled high. I took photo. I could hardly rinse of spatula it was so thick! 30 min later another slightly smaller. Then 3 more times. Same color smaller plan sized. Last one an hour ago much clearer outside. Hubby just told me he's noticed soft diarreah the last week but never mentioned to me until now. Our vet is an hour away & that office is a satalite open 2 days. Main office is 3 hours. Any suggestions or thoughts? Last visit Vet said it was time to have the conversation to put him down. It's my adult daughter in law's dog but being at present is dealing with a very ill, in ICU hospital in her homeland of New Zealand so I'm trying to keep this discussion at bay until there is some good family news. What are your thoughts of what this could be please so decisions could be made. Thank you in advance. We live on the west coast --pacific time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Noted my error... Should hv proof read. Was just in hurry. After submission he did it again. We decided he had to sleep outside. Hadn't done so for last year. One error in writing.... First 2x were large filling 8 inch plate. Next 3-6 were "Palm" sized. Last one was a long stringy size. Actual visit was 4/21st/2016. He was fed @ 0700 hrs and we returned home giving treat @1500ish. My daughter-in-law is dealing with seriously ill sibling in her homeland. I believe this covers my errors. Please ask me any question. Also is the photo of 1st up-chuck. Darker piece @ left side is a small piece of crossaint with dark edges about 3 inches long. 1.5 " wide. Poor guy outside barking to come n :-(( ...I'm sad but don't need him sick @ nite in the house. He has 2 beds to sleep on outside but he is now spoiled to inside. Can't see photo but I hit add. And now send. Hope u can view it
5/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind: 1. How has he been since you asked your question? Is he still vomiting? Stools still loose?2. Is he lethargic?3. Any pain or discomfort when you press on his abdomen?4. Was any blood work done on 4/21?5. Is he still on Meloxicam every other day? Any other medications? Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.Thanks for your patience. Deb
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian