Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my dog to the vet because he was always a scratching

Customer Question
Hi, I took my dog...
Hi, I took my dog to the vet because he was always a scratching inside his mouth & licking ferociously... his 2 eye teeth were badly infected so he had surgery... I thought they would pull them but instead they did s full clean & scaling on his mouth... he has been on Antirobe for 2 weeks now & is still clawing & licking at his mouth since surgery 2 days ago! What gives? Why is he not getting better?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your Pomeranian is having such severe itching and discomfort around his mouth. I will do my best to help. Does your veterinarian use X-rays to check the health of the roots of the teeth? Not all veterinarians are equipped with a dental X-ray unit. In that case, there may be infection in the bone around the root of one or more teeth that is not evident from looking at the teeth with our eyes. If I have patients who seem to still be uncomfortable with their mouth even after having had a cleaning, I send them to a hospital that is able to do dental X-rays. Having said that, more frequently when I see a dog who is pawing at their lips, it's a skin itching problem of the skin of the lips rather than an actual dental issue. They can have itching from allergies around their mouths that can be quite severe. If I have a suspicion that a pet is itchy from an allergic issue, I'll treat with a course of prednisone to suppress itching and see how it affects the pet.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian