Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is afraid to bark. It is like something is stuck in

Customer Question
his throat. When he tries...
My dog is afraid to bark. It is like something is stuck in his throat. When he tries, it shocks him and he just kays off to the side alone.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: My dog is afraid to bark. It is like something is stuck in his throat. When he tries, it shocks him and he just kays off to the side alone.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It seems ro be affecting his throat
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: There feels like there might be a small lump at the base of his throat
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit, and he ia 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit,?
Customer: He ate some snacks just fine. He recently (3 weeks ago) had his annual shots. He was also put under to deep clean his teeth.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Bandit. His behavior does suggest that we may have a partial throat obstruction but could alternatively have a severe inflammation or even infection in the throat. All will cause throat discomfort and swelling such that he may react to barking in this manner. Now since he can eat snacks that does thankfully mean full throat obstructions aren't likely here. Still, again we do need to tread with care. So, if he is very uncomfortable, we'd want to have a check with his vet at this point. They can determine which of the above is present. If something is caught, then we'd want it removed (usually with scoping) so we can get that throat healing as soon as possible. Though if his vet can rule that out for us, then he may just need a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud and get him settled. Finally, as a supportive measure in the meantime, you can try to reduce his throat discomfort with a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. But with this and soft food, we can hopefully keep him comfortable until his vet can check for the above and start him on treatment to get this settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Hello again,How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian