Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We just got our 8 week old german shepherd puppy. When we

Customer Question
We just got our 8...
We just got our 8 week old german shepherd puppy. When we went to pick up our puppy the breeder mentioned he had taken his to the vet on April 25th due to the puppy vomiting. The vet said all was ok. No diagnostic testing was performed. The breeder said that the puppy had not vomited again. We now have had our puppy three days and today he did vomit. When I came home I picked him up to take him out for his relief time. He seemed fine and was playing and getting into mischief and stopped and just vomited. He had upchucked a little the other day (almost like a burp) but today was definitely vomiting. We have our checkup scheduled for Thursday with our vet. In the meantime is there anything I should be aware of?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Well, if he continues to vomit I would be concerned enough to get him seen sooner. I would also monitor for any lack of appetite, lethargy, a painful abdomen, diarrhea or bloody stool. Any of those symptoms may mean something more serious is going on, such as parvo virus, intestinal parasites or a foreign body obstruction. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been watching him and except for this recent vomiting he has been fine. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it and the only reason I am concerned is because the breeder mentioned it. I have had several dogs in past and usually do not become so concerned. The only reason I am this time, is because he is quite an expensive dog and will be in police training.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything I should give him to help settle his tummy.
I wouldn't give him anything. I would just watch him. Sometimes Pepto Bismol can help (http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm), but I don't always recommend it, unless there is another vomiting episode, diarrhea or lack of appetite. It should never be given if there is blood in the stool or vomit. An ulcerative lesion could become worse. Let me know if you have further concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian