Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

JA: . How can we help? Customer: My wife and

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hello. How can we...
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My wife and I recently got a male french bull dog when he was 10 weeks old. He is now 5 months old and we have noticed that the inside of his left eye looks like the brown of his eye has "leaked' or stained the inner white of his eye. his right eye is perfectly fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanut
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peanut?
Customer: no. he has had all his shots, and is on grain free food and is very
lively
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I understand that you are concerned about your pup Peanut's white part of his eye (the sclera) having developed pigmentation (color) on it. In dogs, the color of the sclera depends on the thickness of its stroma (layers of cells that make up the sclera), the amount of pigment the sclera contains, and the amount of fat in its outer boundary. The sclera is thicker near the limbus (where the sclera abuts the cornea or clear outer part of the eye itself) and thins toward the outer edges, making it appear whiter at the limbus in some dogs. However, it is common in dogs to have a large amount of limbal melanin (pigment) that makes the limbus appear dark-brown or black. This pigment sometimes extends around the entire limbus.See this link for an example:http://files.dvm360.com/alfresco_images/DVM360/2013/11/11/31620ec8-355c-461f-8bb7-a43c951c75d6/gionfriddo_FigA_Max.jpgAnd here's another example:http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzZddZxAhfvqQy-KZ_4xSq3CufG3WUP0MD3SmNOhMi5eKrX0voj Sometimes the color can be quite dark and look more like a dark splotch of color. If the eye isn't otherwise red and he isn't rubbing his eye this is considered perfectly normal. It is just pigment within the sclera and doesn't signify any disease. Some dogs with poor tear production get "dry eye" and the chronic irritation can lead to pigmentation of the cornea (clear outer part of the eye) as well as the sclera. In some of these cases we can see a bulge called a staphyloma, which is a scleral defect that is lined with uveal tissue. If these are large they need to be surgically repaired. If they are small they can be left alone. These will look like a thin layer of white over a dark bulge on the sclera rather than actual brown color on his white sclera. These are usually something the puppy is born with. However if the pigmentation is raised or rounded and not a flat part of the white of the eye that can also signify a type of cancer called a melanoma. That would be extremely uncommon in a young dog.For an example see this picture:http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-6bmSiN5-zjgOR1yXYoyDhrnzv9pfHh6wJzrFO8XEDgbQck9That is a mass rather than a simple pigmentation. As long as there isn't any bulging I would not be too concerned, but I would mention it to his veterinarian when he goes in for a physical to make sure it is within normal limits. Does that help? Can I answer anything else?
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian