How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ann M. Your Own Question
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4831
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Ann M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has an abnormally high white blood cell count, bloody

Customer Question

My dog has an abnormally high white blood cell count, bloody stool, and won't eat. The vet says she is in critical condition. She is about 10 and a half years old. Should I try to prolong her life?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Can you start from the beginning? When did she start to feel sick? Has she been up to date on routine veterinary care (vaccines, heartworm test, parasite check, etc)? Was there any vomiting, or was bloody stool her only symptom? Can you attach a copy of the blood results? Even if it takes an hour or two for you to get them, I'm here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed over the weekend that she did not seem to be herself. She started trying to vomit but nothing would come up. She could not walk straight or even very much when I took her to the vet this morning. She is not eating and could only get a little water down. Her stool is bloody and when I pick her up it appears that she is in pain. She is up to date on her shots. I don't have the vet's report on me since the vet called me with the information a little over an hour ago. I am torn about what to do to ensure that she has quality of life. The vet did tell me that she is critical and I don't want to prolong anything if she is in pain. They have given her fluids and antibiotics and I am just trying to decide what to do for the longer term.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I would need to see blood work results to really comment much... I would recommend aggressive IV fluids and antibiotics for at LEAST 24 hours before making any major decisions. She may just have a severe case of gastroenteritis and could be better after a day. I would love to see the CBC results, if possible. But yes, I would give her at least 24 hours before deciding how far to go. If you can get a copy of the blood work, I would love to give a second opinion. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stacey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.