Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

12 YEAR OLD CHI WAS ACTIVE AND HEALTHY UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN

Customer Question

12 YEAR OLD CHI WAS ACTIVE AND HEALTHY UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN SHE STARTED HAVING RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS (SHORT AND SHALLOW) AND IS NOW LETHARGIC.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about Casey. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a problem you can treat at home or play the "wait and see" game with. Respiratory difficulty is considered an emergency, and should be seen right away, because it can worsen quickly and lead to respiratory failure if untreated, depending on the cause. We worry aobut things like infections such as pneumonia causing respiratory trouble, as well as in older dogs we worry about heart disease causing fluid buildup in the lungs leading to difficulty breathing, or primary lung problems such as tumors that can cause trouble breathing. I would recommend getting her to your vet ASAP for them to listen to her heart and lungs, and likely do an x-ray on her to figure out what the issue is and the best way to treat it!
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Casey. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay