Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has a cyst on her private parts JA: I'll do all I can

Customer Question
She has a cyst on...
She has a cyst on her private parts
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She has a cyst i think ir she has a lump by her private parts
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Im not sure how old she is because i havent had her for about 4 months but her name is tinker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: She has a toy Chihuahua long haired at first I thought that maybe her long hair was stopping her from going to the bathroom because she had a lump of shit under her tail so I stuck her in warm water and got that off she seems really sore down there so I took a little bit of Preparation H to reduce some of the swelling
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. A cyst is possible but if this is causing her issue passing stool, we'd also be concerned about abscesses, benign growths, and masses for Tinker. As well, if this is near the rectum, this could also be an anal gland based issue (which are often very sore). Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to soothe this for her. The Preparation H is fine but you could also use OTC hydrocortisone cream. And that may be a better option since it will reduce inflammation. Of course, whichever you use, you will want to salt water bathe the area first to reduce local bacterial populations and plan to keep the area clean. This can be done after she passes stool or 2-3 times daily. Otherwise if it doesnt' settle and since it is very sore for Tinker, we'd want this checked once your vet is open. They can check and empty her anal glands and determine if these were involved. If they are clear, then we may need her vet to sample this lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If ckear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is likely and removal is cosmetic. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. Overall, if a lump in this area could be a cyst but there are other concerns for this with Tinker. Therefore, we'd want to treat with care, use supportive care over the weekend but plan to have this checked by her vet. That way we can diagnose which issue is present and start treatment to get her comfortable and get this settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian