Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's keeps licking his paws and makes the weird noise like

Customer Question
a pig JA: I'm sorry to...
he's keeps licking his paws and makes the weird noise like a pig
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cody and he's 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aggressive licking of the extermities is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of both atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance in dogs. His grunting suggests that he's quite intent doing so. If Cody's behavior is seasonal, atopy is most likely and can be addressed with a course of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone or, preferably, the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Cody's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.It's important that Cody's vet determine if bacterial, yeast (Malassezia), or Demodex mite infection exists concomitantly. These infections need to be cleared before an allergic dermatitis can be successfully addressed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian