Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My sausage ctoss jack russel, suddenly started shivering and

Customer Question
wheezing in the middle of...
My sausage ctoss jack russel, suddenly started shivering and wheezing in the middle of the night. I have put her in front of the heater and she has now stopped shivering but as soon ad I moved her she started again. Please help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seems fine but no spirit in her, she is 2 years and normally runs and plays. Now just no shivering, and lies in the armrest of a couch.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bling, she is shiny golden colour
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bling?
Customer: I do live in the open, with a lot of room to run chase rabbits and birds! Otherwise I can think of nothing else to tell him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like your dog is painful. In a young small breed dog like this, the most common cause is back pain from a herniated disc. We don't usually know how it happens, but we see typical signs. We see trembling, weakness, panting and reluctance to jump up or do stairs. The diagnosis is usually made on palpation of the spine. We treat with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl) + something for nerve pain (Gabapentin). We also recommend rest for 1-2 weeks. If you want to try something at home, you could give some Aspirin. The safe dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours, as needed. If you want more effective treatment, I would use your vet or an ER vet in the area for the other meds I mentioned. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I will try the aspirin first.
You're very welcome.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian