Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog has foxtail in throat. He keep gagging and coughing.

Customer Question
What can I do...
I think my dog has foxtail in throat. He keep gagging and coughing. What can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. Foxtails can be pretty nasty as they can get lodged in the esophagus and start migrating through tissue. The best thing you can do is get some imaging (x-rays, barium study, endoscopy) to find the foxtail and remove it before it causes problems. If they find that it's not a foxtail and it's just some irritation, then great. In those dogs, we just treat with a coating medication called Sucralfate and it usually resolves over a day or two. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian