Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 7 week old golden retreiver puppy who has constant

Customer Question
urination issues and now is...
i have a 7 week old golden retreiver puppy who has constant urination issues and now is smelling fishy. i have been trying D-Manose powder and it doesnt seem to be helping. Of course it is the weekend! I do have some Amoxacillan capsuls but dont know if i can give her some.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hattie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hattie?
Customer: not that we know of. J
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Brought her home from another state and travelled 16 hours so I think we may have caused this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hattie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How much does she weigh? What strength Amoxicillin do you have? What are her urination issues? Usually I recommend an exam and a urinalysis before starting antibiotics, but Amoxicillin should be safe if we can get the dose correct. I need her weight and to know what Amoxi dose you have to do that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a puppy we just got four days ago and probably only about 7 pounds, and we have 500mg Amoxicillan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you able to write a proper prescription for a local pharmacy or Petco?
She would need about 70 mg of Amoxicillin, twice daily. It will be hard to break a 500 mg capsule to a safe dose. Too much could give her diarrhea. It is illegal for anyone who does not have a client patient relationship with you to write a prescription, for a pet not seen or examined. Also, I am probably not licensed to practice in your state! This website, as it says in the disclaimer, is for information only.
How is Hattie doing today? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian