Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old ponies sleeps so hard there are times I can't

Customer Question
wake her up. She sleeps...
My 8 year old ponies sleeps so hard there are times I can't wake her up. She sleeps with her eyes open and her tongue hanging out. I woke up this morning and thought she was dead. I couldn't wake her and she didn't seem to be breathing. I touched her eyeball and she didn't respond. I pumped her chest several times and no response. I picked her up and she very slowly started to respond. I held her and she was panting instead of her usual breathing. Now she seems fine and is her usual self. What's going on?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dolly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. This is does not sound normal, for you not to be able to wake her, and to not respond when you touch her eye. I have seen older dogs that are deaf sleep so soundly that the owners can't wake them, but this sounds different. One thing I would do is check her gums if this happens again. If her gums are a normal pink color, that is a good sign her brain is getting enough blood and oxygen. If her gums look pale, she may not be getting enough oxygen to her brain, and may be in a come like state. I would also ( as a veterinarian) listen to her heart to check for murmurs, arryrhythmias, abnormal heart sounds. I would feel her pulse, check her blood sugar lever (low blood sugar could make her nonresponsive). If her blood sugar level was normal, and her heart and lungs and pulse all seem normal, then I would next suspect she could have some kind of brain disease. That is harder to check for; we have to do things like spinal taps, and MRI or CT studies to evaluate the brain. If she continues to do this, start to check her gums to see if they are pale or pink, and consider a good exam with her veterinarian. Let me know if this is helpful and what other of your questions I can answer.
How is Dolly doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote!
Hi Kate Alexander,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dolly. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian